Hockey in the 'Hood?

What is this? Well, it's a blog about hockey. Not hockey, adult rec-league hockey. A bunch of guys (way) past their prime, lacing up the skates, taping up the sticks, and living out their dreams once a week.

I just re-watched this http://www.zoomcom.ca/beerleague/ for the 20th time. It's us. And I hope I can do "us" justice.

I'm the captain of my rec team in Oakland, California. And yes, to answer your question, there is a lot of hockey in Oakland. Not just Oakland, but the whole San Francisco Bay Area. Our rink, the Oakland Ice Center http://www.oaklandice.com, has eight adult divisions, each with about 8 teams (give or take). And it's in the hood. Not the kind of place you want to hang out late at night. Which, of course, is when we play.

So what's going to be here? First, thoughts about my team. What's going on, who's doing what, and how it's playing out in the locker room, on the ice, and in the parking lot after the game with the beer. (Note to self: check to make sure everyone's cool about this, or keep this disguised). Second, thoughts about rec-hockey generally: resources (if I feel like it), equipment, etc. We'll see. I'm just starting out, so who's to say for sure?

No comments: