The New Skate Dilemma

Last summer my velveteen rabbit skates, a pair of 1990 Bauer 3000 Custom Supreme's finally gave out. The upper started to separate from the sole, and no amount of new rivets was going to save it. Plus, I'm working now, and 16 years later it might be time for new skates. So I went shopping.

I had two friends who were extremely unhappy with the new skates they bought (Bauers, of course) because they were so stiff they could never be broken in. So I was leary, and did some research. I learned two things of note:

(1) My velveteen rabbit skates, which I had worn for 16 years, were always too big for me. I wear a 10 to 10 1/2 shoe, and my skates were 9 1/2s. I always figured that was right. Turns out I'm now properly in an 8 1/2 skate, and I LOVE IT. Huge improvement.

(2) People often pay more for the "better" skate. But "better" often means stiffer, and depending on your weight that's not necessarily "better."

So, for those of you looking for new skates, take a look at Scott Noble's take on new skate buying, which was extremely helpful for me: http://www.epinions.com/content_3832651908

Scott also published a book, Hockey for Weekend Warriors. The lessons in it are really directed at the novice hockey player, but the equipment buying sections are quite good for players at any level. And he's pretty funny (funnier than me, anyway).


Note: No, I'm not Scott's friend.

1 comment:

peakie said...

i read scott's comments on skate buying last year when looking for a new pair. i also had some skates that were too big for me thus a handful of problems like skate bite and bad skating. well, maybe the second one was my fault.
i bought some bauers, got them baked, and i love them.