Characters: Dude, Get a Life

I figured I'd run through our cast of characters, that is the guys I play with. We'll start with me.

Seriously, writing a blog about rec hockey that next to no one reads? Get a life. I spend way too much of my waking time thinking about this stuff. I send potential lines to one of the alternate captains during the week. I can only imagine him rolling his eyes everytime he gets them. I take this stuff way too seriuosly. It still bothers me when guys show up late. I fret over wins, losses, and statistics. I bought a hat that loosely resembles our team's colors and name, just because, well, it loosely resembles our team's name and colors. Season starts this Thursday, I'll break it back out for all the world to see . . . ("Man, that guy takes this stuff way too seriously.")

I send copies of plays to run to everyone. I know that gets the eyes rolling. Then it's game time.

"Ok guys, (1) let's keep the penalties down, and (2) no mouthing off to the refs." I promptly go out and take a bad retaliation penalty, then mouth off to the ref. I'm that guy.

Out of shape, don't handle the puck that well, can't shoot to save my life, but I make myself a center because, well, I run the stats and the administrative details. Go figure.

To my credit, our team is pretty well organized, and normally people know when its their turn to bring the beer.

Besides, when one becomes a family man, (a) you start to realize why the dads are always the ones running late, and (b) you need hockey. That special time once a week that belongs to just you, when you don't have any real responsibility other than trying to cover the slot and staying out of the penalty box.

I don't need a life. I have my family and hockey. What more is there?

No comments: