Losing 8-1: Hurt Me So Good.

We got shelled. 8-1. Worst loss of the year. Our goaltender has been averaging under 2 goals against. But we gave him no support. We had tons of scoring chances, but shot badly over and over and over again. We had bad calls go against us. First coincidental minors when one of their guys punched our guy in the face. Huh!?! Then, when our guy couldn't get the penalty box door open, they gave him 2 more for unsportsmanlike conduct. Seriously. I played my worst game of the year. I couldn't get my legs going, was slow, lazy, shot badly, and didn't really play defense. We had eight skaters and never found any rhythm. We hung our goaltender out to dry again, and again, and again, and again . . . (well, eight times, at least). Basically, we sucked. And it was awesome. Seriously.

I had an all-time bad day yesterday. I woke up on the wrong side of the bed. Basically anything the wife or child said annoyed me (including the potty training "mistake" all over the couch). It was pouring rain outside. I got salary information at work (gee, I wonder where the stress came from?). My employer screwed me. I was pissed. I ate too much. Thought too much about being fat. Did drudge work all day. Stayed pissed at my employer. Stayed at work too late. Got home and spent 45 minutes bitching to my wife about how upset I was with my employer (I'm sure she loved that -- how much fun is it to listen to someone complain for 45 minutes?). Then, packed up my gear to go play a game that started after 10. Tired, angry, surly.

Sweet hockey, ease the pain.

So I played badly. So my team played badly. Our once 10-1 team has lost four of five, including two to teams with 5 or fewer wins. And I had a great time. I spent 2 hours thinking about hockey, not work or any other petty annoying things. We had beer in the parking lot at midnight, and I wasn't mad any more. Got in the car to drive home and Bob Seger sang, "Roll, roll me away, won't you roll me away, tonight . . . "

Got home with a smile on my face. Five hours of sleep, but the wife and child didn't annoy me at all this morning. At work this morning I'm still not thrilled about the money, but the fire that consumed me yesterday is gone. It's a beautiful sunny day, and the weekend starts in eight hours.

I love hockey.

No comments: