Shoulder Pads?

Like most adult-rec leagues, ours is "non-checking." Plenty of contact, but nothing compared to a full-bore checking league. Several years ago I bought a new pair of Jofa shoulder pads. Nice bulkly ones. And I promply went out and got clobbered in the slot, landing shoulder first. I spent the next month praising the new purchase that had saved me.


About 2 months ago, unbeknownst to me, my shoulder pads fell out of my bag on the way through the rink lobby. I realized I didn't have them in the locker room, went back out and couldn't find them, so I assumed I must have accidentally left them at home (better that than say a shinguard and an elbow pad . . . which happened to one of our guys a couple of games ago). So I figured what the hell, I'll play without them. And I loved it. I felt lighter, faster, better. (As I left that night, my pads were sitting on the counter at the entrance.)


A handful of guys go without shoulder pads in our league, and ever since that first night a while back, I've been one of them. I really like it. In addition to feeling like I skate better, I don't lose as much fluid during the game. What's not to like? I guess the fact that after two weeks ago when I knocked open a door during the game, I'm still looking at nasty bruises on my shoulder where I hit it. And at any moment I could get drilled like I was four years ago, landing shoulder first.

Complicating this, when the rink changes management, they will implement USA Hockey's equipment requirements, which include shoulder pads . . . think they will notice if I'm not wearing them?

So, do I keep skating without them? (I survived the Baby Huey game/incident just fine.)

Do I put them back on?

Do I go out and get some old-school Gretzky style pads?



This is my dilemma.

1 comment:

mb said...

Go "lite"...It will protect you nearly 100% of the time. Sherwood makes "traditionals" I think (nice and lite). My pads are early eighties lacrosse pads, very lite...I get plenty of bruises with pads, I won't go without...thank god for face masks.