Mommas, Don't Let Your Kids Grow Up To Play Hockey

So I was at the hockey store this weekend buying some stuff, having some skate maintenance done, etc., and a dad walks in with his teenage and pre-teen sons. The teenager needs a new stick. $175 +tax later, the chip off the 'ol block had the newest, fanciest, coolest Bauer/Nike Vapor XXX one-piece stick. Which, at some point over the next year will get jammed into the boards at a funny angle and break.

When I was starting in hockey, Easton had just released aluminum shafts, and very few people would spend the nearly $100 (gasp!!!) to get one. I traded in my wooden sticks (the old Sher-wood 5030, Coffey curve) for a composite shaft a few years back, but I don't even have a "nice" shaft. Got mine from an ebay closeout.

Did I mention the other kid that came in with his dad for new skates? Probably around 12 or 13, too. Wears a 4 1/2. Brand spanking new, special order skates. How long do you suppose those will fit?

Anyway, getting your kids into hockey isn't getting any cheaper, is it?

No comments: